Strange behavior with upgrade to RH 7.3

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 6 12:49:26 CEST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	I'm not sure this is a valid point.  I found that many people said
> the same thing about the 5.2 to 6.2 and 3.0.3 to 4.2 and 2.1 to 3.0.3.
> The trick is to gather all the information and plan out the upgrade before
> actually doing it.  I haven't had many problems doing major version
> upgrades myself.

  Regardless of the amount of planning, Joe, there's a big difference
between those who work professionally as SysAdmins (doing upgrades and
tinkering under the hood all the time) and us end users with dozens of
end-user apps in which we spend our days.

  I had an experienced SysAdmin working with me and the process still took
several days. This is the worst major version upgrade I've been through
since I first booted RH 4.1 some time in 1997. I'm still finding broken
pieces, such as mozilla working yesterday but not this morning.

  IMO, the problem is more with the RH installer than anything else. It
would not read cdroms reliably from the ATAPI drive until I disconnected
both SCSI buses. No, this is not reasonable, but that's the way it was. We
had four attempts at installing on one box fail at the stage of installing
'chkconfig'. Leaving that out of the selected packages allowed installation
to completion, but then, of course, chkconfig was needed and had to be
manually selected and installed.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)