reflecting names of running applications in terminal-names

Christian V. J. Brüssow cvjb at epost.de
Wed Sep 4 16:06:45 CEST 2002

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:08:20 +0100
David Wijnants <dwijnants at askalix.com> wrote:

> I tried this shell script version of the same thing:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   # changes the terminal title
>   printf "\x1b]0;$1\007"
>
> Works fine with rxvt, but not with xterm =(

I use a shell script with PROMTP_COMMAND (bash) to set the title of my
xterm to the cwd. To do this, I use something like:

echo -n "^[]2; YOUR TITLE GOES HERE ^G"

I also set the icon title with:

echo -n "^[]1; YOUR ICON TITLE GOES HERE ^G"

^[ is one(!) Escape character, and ^G is one (!) CTRL-G. Use an editor
that can insert these kind of characters correctly. Dont't forget the
';'!

This works fine for me with xterm, gnome-terminal, and
multi-gnome-terminal.

Bye,
Christian

--
"It doesn't matter what temperature a room is;
it is always room temperature."

Registered Linux User #25545 (counter.li.org)
Running Gentoo Linux (www.gentoo.org) and XFce (www.xfce.org)