SCP in XFTree?

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Mon Sep 2 15:00:28 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 04:01, wolfgang wrote:
> the possibility to "browse" remote computers via ssh/scp exists as an addon to
> KDE, using the fish:// protocol (no kidding), see
> http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/fish/
> works fine for me in konqueror.
>
> also, the program lftp let's you open fish://user@host URLs and use the usual
> ftp-like commands with them - so it might be possible to add that feature to
> xftree?

The way xftree has been handling the issue so far is by opening a remote
instance of xftree on the the computer you wish to browse (with ssh,
telnet, rsh, rexec, etc), then you just drag and drop between a local
xftree and a remote xftree. You can choose between "rsync --rsh=ssh" and
"scp" , the default being the latter. Unfortunately this won't work if
the remote is a windows box, but that's where xfsamba comes in. You can
browse with xfsamba on the remote and drag-n-drop to and from a local
xftree instance.

Nonetheless the fish protocol sounds interesting and should be looked
into. Previous alternate suggestions include vfs.

Edscott