Componentization of Xfce3 (was: Re: Critical need for next release)

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Oct 2 19:14:27 CEST 2002

[I set the reply-to for this message to go to the xfce-devel list as I
believe it's better discussed there; feel free to reset it back]

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 12:33, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> The xfce-4 distribution mechanism will consist of seperate tarballs for
> seperate components. Perhaps xfce-3 needs to evolve in a similar manner,
> since updating the 5 Mb tarball is rather time consuming.

	That's a very good point.

> I suppose if you split the xfce-3 tarballs into smaller components that
> could replace the xfce-3 distro, it would probably work as a model to
> follow for xfce-4. This would make it easier to combine/replace xfce-3
> components with xfce-4 stuff. And only those components which have been
> enhanced or bugfixed would need to be updated to arrive at the
> equivalent 3.8.18.

	I think that this is a good direction to go but not necessarily with
3.8.18.  IMHO, 3.8.18 should be released in the form it is in now and
then the work to split out the components could be done for 3.9.0.

	Thoughts?

--
Paradice; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.