restarting galeon window offscreen

Heiko Berges hb-mlist+xfce at k6.bsls.de
Sun Nov 17 19:09:29 CET 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 11:58:06PM -0700, Collins wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2002 19:54:57 -0800 Jack Coates <jack at monkeynoodle.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 11:05, Collins wrote:

> > > Mozilla is not usable (IMO) because it requires a separate profile
> > > for each instance (you get a prompt to create a new profile any
> > > time you start a new instance, which is a bummer).
> > >

> > whuh? Never seen that on Windows or Linux -- can you describe what
> > you mean?

If you start mozilla while another instance is allready running, it
fires up a so called user-profile manager.  Older Versions of Netscape
simply refused to start up, unless you removed the lockfile. (Which
of course leaded to strange behaviour.)

> I'll be damned!  Maybe it's stopped doing that in 1.0.1.  I've gotten
> that on everything prior and also on Phoenix, the browser only
> variant.  I mean just exactly that - a prompt to specify a new profile
> when opening a new instance.
>
> Also, do you know anyway to cause a remote request to attach itself to
> a new tab in the running instance, as does Skipstone?

I don't know Skipstone, but I use this simple script:

+v
	my_start_mozilla
	#!/bin/sh
	# set path etc here
	[ "X$1" != "X" ] && exit -1
	mozilla -remote 'openurl(,new-window)' 2>/dev/null || exec mozilla &
-v

to start up mozilla from the panel.

No drag and drop, because mozilla and xfce run on different machines.
Use new-tab if you want a new tab, instead of a new window.

	Heiko