xfce without xfwm?

Paul Kent Anderson pka at et.byu.edu
Wed Nov 13 20:15:04 CET 2002

I'm using IBM's xfce distribution (3.8.11) for AIX, and am in a
situation where I can't use xfwm, but would still like to use xfce.
(We're using xfce for a remote access toolbar, and each client has hits
own WM).
I have a couple of questions that you all might be able to help with.

1. My configuration changes don't seem to be taking effect. I've edited
a particular xfce3rc file and stuck it in $HOME/.xfce, /etc/X11/xfce and
/opt/freeware/X11/xfce (the default for my AIX system). Items I add and
remove don't seem to have any effect. I've also tried this:
 > setenv DISABLE_XFCE_USER_CONFIG 1
 > setenv XFCE_DATA /opt/freeware/etc/X11/xfce
 > xfce &
and still no luck!
I've seen on the mailing list and in the .html docs that some of the
configuration info is in the xfwm config file, but I can live without
that. I'm talking about simple stuff like adding/deleting menu items.
What file controls that stuff?

2. Is it possible to have seamless windows without xfwm? Currently, they
pop up in completely separate windows, with their own borders and Close
buttons in the upper right. (I've tried tear away windows on and off) I
presume its a function of the Window Manager, but maybe you all have tips?

Thanks in advance!

Paul.

Inflex Virus Scanner - installed on mailserver for domain @et.byu.edu
Queries to: postmaster at et.byu.edu