Migrating from KDE to Xfce

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Wed Nov 13 04:12:20 CET 2002

On 12 Nov 2002 12:44:47 -0800 Jack Coates <jack at monkeynoodle.org>
wrote:
> I actually greatly prefer aterm to rxvt, but my guess is that the
> original poster wants a term multiplexer with a tool bar, in which
> case gnome multi terminal is a good solution. In general, GTK-apps
> are better to run under XFce than Qt-apps.
>
> Jack
>
> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 12:04, Anibal Ojeda wrote:
> >
> >  obstacle: (there are no obstacle's but solutions)
> >
> > > I use the Konsole program and have it set so that when I start
> > > KDE, Konsole is started along with about 10 named sessions.
> >
> > Don't use Konsole ! is a waste of memory you can better use rxvt
> > http://www.rxvt.org
> >
> > > Basically my problem is when I run Konsole under Xfce, my
> > > sessions are not started, so I only have a single session
> > > running.
> >
> > As i said don't use konsole ! the only moment you can use this is
> > if you need to cut & paste otherwise i a waste !
> >
> > > If that's not possible, can anyone recommend a multi-terminal
> > > type program like Konsole which works under Xfce?
> >
> > http://www.rxvt.org
> > simple small fast !! like Xfce !!
> >
> > > I would love to use Xfce instead of KDE as it starts up in about
> > > 5 secs as opposed to about 90-120 secs for KDE!
> >
> > I did the same ! KDE is good ! but ity take to long to load ! time
> > i don't have ! & i love the CDE look of XFCE it remember me my
> > good times using HP-UX!!
> >
> > One more thing i notice gtk programs work faster than kde programs
> > !

A second vote for aterm.  I've been using it ever since I learned that
it uses much less in the way of resources than the average ?term.

Start as many as you like, place them on the desktop(s) you like, and
xfce/xfwm will restart them right where you left off.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Redhat 7.3 system