exec format error

Igor furlan at telocity.com
Mon Nov 11 04:22:51 CET 2002

Neal Haslam wrote:

> > So, the question is very simple:  What I am doing wrong ?
>
> Igor,
> The execute bit is probably set.  Right click on the file -> Properties
> -> Permissions then uncheck the execute bits.
> --
> Neal

yes...  you are right...  the execute bits were set.
By unchecking them, I can launch the "openoffice" and start
editing the "file.doc".

All from above is true, when I want to edit "file.doc" which
is stored on Linux side of the disk, but it does not work when
I mount msdos|vfat|fat partition of the disk to the linux file system.

I will describe the problem a little bit deeper and I hope
that somebody on "xfce" list will give me a hint|solution|link.
Thanks in advance.
So, the problem is as follows.

My friend has a relatively old laptop. He wants to run Linux
on it as a dual boot machine. Laptop is NOT powerful enough
to run monster desktop ala KDE or GNOME. When he launches openoffice
within the GNOME|KDE, the laptop is, more or less, doing
"swapping" only. It is almost impossible to do real work on it.
So, I told him, lets start a light weight desktop and you
will be able to run "openoffice" relatively smoothly.
   All his MS files are stored on Windows side of the disk.
No problem, I told him, we can automagically mount Windows
disk at boot time and you will be set.

In order to make Windows partition R/W (read/write) by anybody,
I had to put into "/etc/fstab" the following line:

/dev/hda1  /mnt/windows98  auto  users,umask=000 0 0

As a result of such a line, ALL files on Windows side have the
following permissions

-rwxrwxrwx root root  "date"  file.doc

As you see, "execute" bits are set. So, when I double click
on the "file.doc" from "xftree" I do get "Permission denied".
This is different then yesterday. Yesterday  I got "exec format error".
I solved that. RedHat uses for "openoffice" launch a small
script, which contains [ exec /usr/bin/ooffice "$1" ] ( no square brackets, of course).
I've removed "exec" and added "/bin/tcsh" So this is not a problem anymore.

The real problem is "Permission denied" message. If I
manually change permission on the file from "rwxrwxrwx" to "rw_rw_rw_",
double click on the file within "xftree" ___works___ OK !!!

I've tried to mount windows file system with "umask=111". If I do
that, a regular user on Linux side does not have access to windows side.
Even "xftree" does not show the contents of the windows side.
So, there is nothing to double click on.

I've tried to mount windows side as a regular user and modify the
launch script for "openoffice" by adding [ chmod 666 "$1" ]
just prior to start of the "openoffice".
It seems that my new script does not work if it is launched from "xftree".
I always get "Permission denied" message.

If I launch the same script from the terminal,  the script works flawlessly.

Sorry for the long e-mail. As you can see, I did as much
as I can to solve this problem. I am out of ideas how to
proceed. Yes, I did try some other weird combinations
with "groups", "umask", "user", "users"...  etc ..

I could not make "double click" working. So, the consequence
is that friend of mine will not be able to view images,
launch open office just by clicking on the file name
within the "xftree".
Yes, I know, he can "right click" on the file and
select the package he will use to open the file.
Yes, this approach works !
What does not work is "double click"

Any help is more than appreciate

TIA

Igor

--
I do not get viruses because I do not use MS software. If you use Outlook
or Outlook Express then please do not put my email address in your