More about the taskbar

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri May 24 03:22:34 CEST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 00:49:38 +0000 (UTC) Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov
<d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> wrote:
> Hmm, if I don't use certain features, I don't need them. :) Well, at
> least, that was the reason, why I switched from KDE to XFCE (please
> note: my hardware is more than adequate for KDE).
>
> I don't know, but I just can't get the idea of the taskbar. It just
> doesn't play well (for me?) with the multiple workplaces. I had to
> use IceWM (which has both taskbasr and workplaces) for a while, and
> I found taskbar useless and annoying. I must admit, IceWM allow you
> to turn it off. Of course, I did. :)
>
> I mean, if I'd have all my windows from all workplaces on the
> taskbar, I won't be able to read anything there anyway. For example,
> right now I have 29 windows on different workplaces. And there could
> be more... Hence, the taskbar holding all my windows is useless.

With anything more than about 15 tasks, the taskbar is suboptimal.
You have a good case for not using the taskbar.  Most of the time, I
run 7 tasks over 4 desktops, and it's ideal for my tastes.

> OK, what if I have some windows on my workplace, which I can't see.
> But if I can't see them, I can't really use them. Hence I don't
> really need them. Hence I can (and I do) move them to the different
> workplace (or iconify them or even shade them!). And using taskbar
> to switch to the other window is just the same as using ctrl+FN or
> button on the panel or deiconifing the window (or unshade, which is
> even easier and faster). Hence taskbar is useless, as long as I'm
> using several workplaces and/or iconified windows.

I don't use any iconfied windows; that feature is useless for me.
ctrl+Fn is fine, too, but the taskbar takes me to the correct desktop
and raises the specific window I'm interested in.  Frequently I need
to switch to an aterm on another desktop while I'm composing mail, and
I like to be able to click on the taskbar to do the navigation between
the two.  Of course, there are other ways, but I like this one.

> So we have the third and the last situation: all my windows are on
> the same workplace, so I can not see them all at the same time, and
> I do NOT WANT to iconify them, and I do NOT WANT to shade my them,
> and I do NOT WANT to use different workspace. Well, yes, I agree, I
> do need taskbar in this sutiation. But, I do want to have iconified
> windows (sticky iconified netscape messenger is just great!) and I
> do want to use several workplaces(to logically separate my tasks).
>
> I don't know. That's my situation. Maybe I'm wrong. Can somebody
> explain me, why taskbar is so good? What am I missing here? Just,
> please, don't use "because we used to it" as a reason. As you can
> see above, when I get used to work with multiple workplaces, I can
> live without taskbar. And, well, multiple workplaces are "native" to
> XFCE.

It's much like cars.  I can't stand automatic transmissions, but many
people despise standard shift.  I for one, find the panel worthless
except for the quit button.  Occasionally I do click on the settings
or help buttons, but I never use the icons, and there are much better
clocks available.  The used car salesman's motto:  "There's a butt for
every seat."

I would like the flexibility of being able to configure the controls
the way I use them.  Some may consider this bloat, but I consider the
panel to be screen bloat.

If I had the time, I would consider hacking the code on my own to make
it work the way I like.  Meanwhile, I really like the taskbar.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
gentoo(since 01/01/01) 2.4.18+(ext3) xfce-sylpheed-mozilla