xfsamba question

H.R. ter Veer terveer at subdimension.com
Wed May 22 13:10:38 CEST 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002 13:01:58 +0200
Michal Szymanski <msz at astrouw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, this is not exactly an XFCE question.
>
> I have a Win2000 machine in my office LAN, on which I have made local
> disk accessible from outside. To my surprise, there were no place
> to put a password there (like in Win98) but OK, probably some other
> place.

Windows 2000, like every NT style windows, uses user authentication to connect.
To mount such a volume you need to add a username +password that exists on the win2K machine

like:
mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test

> Now when I start 'xfsamba', it recognizes the share and is able to
> browse and even mount it. I do not complain :))
>
> But when I try to mount the share using "smbmount", it always asks me
> the password and if I use "-o guest" option, it says "Access denied".
AFAIK the guest account by default is disabled

> So the question is: how can 'xfsamba' do the mount, not knowing any
> password?
I guess xfsamba uses your username as username :-)