taskbar - impressive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 20 16:03:43 CEST 2002

On 20 May 2002, edscott wilson garcia wrote:

> You might have an older version of xfce in your path. If you do a make
> install from the CVS without the --prefix=/usr and --enable-taskbar,
> then xfce would install in /usr/local/bin without taskbar. By rebuilding
> the .src.rpm, xfce would be installed to /usr/bin with the taskbar.

Edscott,

  Bingo! I did not notice that the default ${prefix} changed from
/usr/local/ to /usr. And I did have files from April in /usr/local/bin/ that
were loaded before those from last week in /usr/bin/.

  It was my error that I didn't notice the implications of the two locations
whenever I ran 'locate xfce'.

  Thanks very much. Yes, even at 1024x768 dpi the hairline is visible and
clickable. Now I'll clean up the other hosts.

  What's the advantage of moving from /usr/local/ to /usr/? My understanding
is that /usr/ can be overwritten when a distribution is upgraded, at least
with Red Hat, but that /usr/local/ is left alone. Just curious.

Again, gracias!

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)