New rpm wipes out all settings

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri May 17 04:57:59 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 20:08, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I'm rather upset about the upgrade from 3.8.16 to 3.8.18. I did this
> because I wanted to try out the taskbar. I rebuilt the .src.rpm and then
> freshened the existing installation. After this, I ran the script,
> "xfce_upgrade" and I lost everything. Panel was reset, panel button labels
> gone, all applications gone, popup menus gone. Everything. The upgrade
> script reported that it moved all existing files to some backup directory,
> but it does not exist.
>
>   After the hassle I went through upgrading to 3.8.16, I don't need this.
> I'm not at all a happy camper. The exact opposite, for that matter.

	It worked right out of the box for me.  I did the same thing as you,
except I rebuilt the rpm from the src.rpm in order to have the
--enable-old-style setting.  Once built I did an "rpm -Fvh" then
xfce_upgrade and all my (very strange) settings in my rc files were
still there.  Did you check that your ~/.xfce has the backup of your
original rc files?

--
No, I _don't_ have anything better to do right now.