Who wants a taskbar in xfce ? Well, it's in the CVS !

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu May 16 03:11:11 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 18:20, Collins wrote:

> More questions.  Is autoconf really broken, i.e. someone has actually
> filed a bug report, or is xfce perhaps relying on some undocumented
> feature that won't ever be supported again?  The reason I ask is this.
>  I install new versions of other packages that use autoconf/automake
> quite regularly, and no other installs seem to be failing.

You might be right here. A compatibility problem could be within the
configure.in file.

> I don't need to go looking for RPMs.  Gentoo has any level you want
> available for install.  Currently autoconf 2.52d is what's considered
> stable.  Both 2.52i and 2.53 are available but considered unstable.
>
> It would be nice if you could tell me exactly what the error is so
> that I can file a bug report; otherwise xfce installs will be failing
> left and right on gentoo.

AFAICT, some macro (from aclocal?) is not working so that a variable
"CATALOGS" is not defined. This causes a faulty makefile to be built.
It could probably be fixed easily, but I have no idea how since I have
not found any documentation or howto's on autoconf and automake. Not
even man pages :-(

Anyways, sooner or later someone will find out what's happening and have
it fixed. In the meantime, bear with us and just delete the last line of
configure.in (as Jasper suggested) and you will be able to build the
CVS.The only thing you'll be missing are the updated translations, which
are none since the 3.8.16 release.

Edscott