Who wants a taskbar in xfce ? Well, it's in the CVS !

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu May 16 00:04:42 CEST 2002

Hi Collins,

> I don't understand the bit about "the proper autoconf/automake tools."
>  It would seem to me that since you are producing a product in wide
> use on a lot of different systems (the gamut of linux and xxxbsd) that
> you would not employ some special tricks that only a certain level of
> autoconf/automake can decode properly.
>
> What am I missing here?

Frankly, we don't use anything tricky here. But I'm tired of those GNU
tools, truely. They are supposed to make developper's life easier but it
makes some easy things so much complicated. Sorry for being direct here,
it's just how I feel about these tools.

> What are the "proper tools" and what are "improper tools"?  I just had
> a fresh look at the links page on www.xfce.org, and I find no mention
> of this.

Yes, it's not mentionned because it's not supposed to be a problem. And
indeed, most stable packages have no problem, but things become more
complicated when it comes to CVS snapshots.

Cheers,
--
Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.