Too many vts open

H.R. ter Veer terveer at subdimension.com
Thu May 2 15:36:46 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002 06:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   I tried posting this message a few days ago but it never made it to the
> list. So, I'll try again.
>
>   Since I upgraded to 3.8.16 I see that multiple copies of the virtual
> terminal open on virtual desktop #1 when I first invoke 'startx' upon
> logging in. They're all at the same screen coordinates. My default setup has
> been to have a single terminal window open on this desktop, and that's all
> that used to open.
>
>   1) What might have changed that now causes anywhere from one to four
> additional instances of aterm to open?
>
>   2) Is there something in a configuration file I can change to stop this?

well, there might be a line in your xinitrc that starts a terminal, xfce also remembers open terminals, so each time you log in you get a new terminal + the one from the last session; what keeps on growing.
(also explains why they're all on the same position)
best way (i think) is to check your xinitrc, and remove the terminal there.
if it is not in ~/.xinitrc, then also check ~/.xinitrc & ~/Desktop/Autorun (dir)