new user comments/ colormap bug?/ Mapping keys?

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at relaxpc.com
Tue Mar 26 19:32:25 CET 2002

Thanks for the answers.  If you don't want to read all my drivel, the
below mostly says that I still don't understand the colormap thing.
It's especially odd that the colors are applied to xterm for a while,
but then 30 minutes later, my xterms start opening white again.  The
fact that the colors in the setup app are all gray also seems odd.

I'm off to crank up another window manager to see if I can really
change key bindings by editing $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc while xfce isn't
running.

On 26 Mar 2002 09:54:10 +0100, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> said:

> Jay,
>> SURELY A BUG:  I have my color map like I want it.  After a while,
>> however, new xterms open with a white background and black text rather
>> the black background that I want (I've been able to change the text
>> color from stark white, but I'm living with that for now).  If I
>> change the GTK theme engine and apply (I've changed from xfce to GTK
>> and back again, changing either way seemed to fix the problem.  When
>> it's "broken" the color maps in the panel's setup app all come up
>> gray.

> No bug here, just a misunderstanding on your side, I guess. When "Apply
> colors to all applications" is selected in Xfce setup panel (click on
> the little painter panel next to the "quit" button on the toolbar to
> access the control panel) then the Xresources are set according to the
> theme selected, which affects Xaw apps such as xterm.

> To avoid this, either add the proper resources to your $HOME/.Xdefauts
> or simply unselect the option.

I remain confused.

But I *want* those colors to be applied to xterm and other Xaw apps.
My problem is that everything is fine (with my xterms black
backgrounded) and then, without changing configuration, xterms start
opening up in white.  The other thing that makes this seem like a bug
is that colors in the xfce panel all become gray.

Then, On 26 Mar 2002 10:11:20 -0500, Joe Klemmer
<klemmerj at webtrek.com> said:

> 	This is probably related to the "Apply colors to all applications"
> button in Setup -> Palette.  I keep this unchecked just to make sure
> that the colors I want are always used.

Do I just have it backwards somehow?  My understanding of the phrase
"Apply colors to all applications" suggests that I should check this
box if I want my xfce colors applied to my xterms.  It seems to work
this way, for a few minutes, at least.

>> BUG or RTFM/documentation: I've tried adding customizations to both
>> ~/.xfce/xfwmrc and ~/.xfwmrc, but neither seems to do anything.

> ...Which is definitely not a good idea. Those files are overridden by
> the panel so all customization in this are must be done thru the GUI.

But the GUI doesn't seem to let me change key bindings and such other
minutia.  Joe says that I have to edit them when xfce isn't running.
My SGI monitor won't work in console mode, so I'll have to edit the
file while running another window manager or go to another machine,
but hopefully won't be doing this every day.

>> RTFM/documentation: I can't tell what the hell the eight color panels
>> are in Setup app.  I have tooltips turned on, but they never come up
>> here (or anywhere else).  I've figured out half of them by trial and
>> error.  I remain confused.

> Yes, that's a long awaited feature. Unfortunately I don't remember
> either ;-)

And Joe doesn't know either. So at least I know it's not just me.  I'm
starting to feel like an insider.  A documented bug is a feature.  I
think we should keep this one.  It should be added to a FAQ: What do
each of those color panels change?  Answer: No one knows.  This will
be fixed in version 21.

>> AESTHETIC: I'd like to see a list of *all* of the apps when I ALT-TAB,
>> not just the one that I'd be changing to.  It's very helpful to see
>> the whole list of open windows & then know that I need to hit N more
>> tabs to get to the window that I want.  If alt-tab gave me the window
>> that comes up when I mouse-3 on the desktop, I'd be happy.  Similarly,
>> I'd like to be able to control tab to other desktops and alt-tab to
>> list only apps on the current desktop.

> This can be done with customization in $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc

Joe says:

> Ctrl-Esc

That's close, but I want to be able to alt-tab through those windows
and choose the one I want.  I can move the mouse pointer through that
list with the arrow keys (a long way from home row), but I can't
figure out how to go to one of those windows with a keystroke.  I
don't want to use the @#$! mouse.  If that window came up on alt-tab &
I could cycle through the selected one with repeated tabs, I'd be very
happy.  Obviously, my happiness is paramount to the developers and all
members of this list.  :-)

> If this file is not present, simply copy the system wide default
> /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc to $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc and edit the later to make
> your changes.

>> AESTHETIC: I'd like mouse-2 and mouse-3 on the maximize window
>> decoration to maximize horizonally and vertially.  I don't like
>> pulling down a menu (worse I confuse horizontal and vertical about 25%
>> of the time, but I doubt you could fix that).  Perhaps I could fix
>> this if I could re-map keys.

> Mouse bindings can be changed from .xfce/xfwmrc file.

If Joe is right about editing it while xfce isn't running, at
least. :-)

> Regarding maximization, the menu appears only if you keep the button
> pressed for a while, other wise the default is full maximization (minus
> the margins, as set in .xfce/xfwmrc)

Right.  I'm much too busy to wait a quarter second for that menu to
come down.  Worse, I'm too stupid and uncoordinated to reliably choose
the right option from the menu.

Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman at relaxpc.com
+1-415-821-7507 (H)                    +1-415-810-2238 (M)
http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/