OT: xscreensaver question?

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Thu Mar 7 16:13:33 CET 2002

well, it is running on an XFce system...

I have two "identical" Mandrake 8.0 systems on similar motherboards with
the same built-in AC97 sound; one has a Voodoo3 and the other has
built-in video. Both are kernel 2.4.8 and alsa-lib 0.5.

Both systems have xscreensaver-4.00-2mdk and xscreensaver-gl-4.00-2mdk
installed, but on one of them (non-voodoo) it plays little voice clips
when it starts, stops, or gets a bad password. That's moderately
annoying; what's really annoying is that it seems to be loading some
other sound library, so there's a burst of static and popping before the
clip and then the last part of the clip gets cut off. mpg123 sounds just
fine on the same system.

Any ideas? I'm still hunting through the RPM database looking for
differences. I've always associated this sort of behavior with esd, but
-- wait, it's running on the problem system and not on the good one.
Both have esound 0.2.22 installed.

Where would this get launched from?

--
Jack Coates