xfskin and freebsd

H.R. ter Veer terveer at subdimension.com
Wed Mar 6 16:04:24 CET 2002

On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:40:50 +0000
David Wijnants <dwijnants at askalix.com> wrote:

Thanks for your support.
This is my first tcl app, and still have to learn a lot.

> For simplicity, just use tcl_platform(os) to get the operating system
> name :
>
> $ tclsh
> %
> % parray tcl_platform
> tcl_platform(byteOrder) = littleEndian
> tcl_platform(machine)   = i686
> tcl_platform(os)        = Linux
> tcl_platform(osVersion) = 2.4.9-31
> tcl_platform(platform)  = unix
> tcl_platform(user)      = dave
> %
> % set uid $tcl_platform(user)
yes, this is fast & internal. Tried in on digital unix, but it doesn't work on that system,
so for now, i leave it as it is. in fact: the diff between
set sysname [string tolower [exec uname]]
set sysname [string tolower $tcl_platform(os)]
is not that big.

> dave
> %
>
> And here's another way to find out the pid of xfwm running under your id
> (no -a option) - should work on Linux and BSD :

well, we can try to find out lots of ways to finally kill the app, but i need one that works for BSD.
the current works fine one linux & Solaris,
while the one you suggest doesn't work on Solaris. ( thats why i want to know the system os).
in my script it gets to look something like:

proc restartXFCE {} {
global exitinst
  set sysname [string tolower [exec uname]]
  set uid [exec sh -c "id |cut -f 2 -d =|cut -f 1 -d \\("]
  switch $sysname \
  "linux" { set pid [string trim [exec sh -c "ps -U $uid |grep xfwm"]] } \
  "freebsd" { set pid [string trim [exec sh -c "ps U $uid |grep xfwm"]] } \
  default { set pid [string trim [exec sh -c "ps -U $uid |grep xfwm"]] }
  set pid [string range $pid 0 [expr [string first \  $pid] -1]]
  exec kill -USR1 $pid
  if {$exitinst} {
  exit
  }
}

in this way, we can also add different OS-es, like Win32?  etc.