recent changes to xftree? correction

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Jun 25 22:46:49 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 08:20, Neal wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2002 08:21:18 -0500
> edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 18:36, Neal wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 12:06, Neal wrote:
> > > ~snip
> > > ~snip
> > >
> > > I should have said "signal 11. Cleaning up before exiting."
> >
> > Please try to get a gdb traceback. That would help clarify what's
> > happening. Of late only one modification has been made to xftree, and a
> > traceback would help determine if it is to blame (this is unlikely) or
> > what needs to be fixed.
> >

> Edscott,
> Thanks for replying.  I have set up the command line behind the xftree icon on the XFce panel to be:  "xterm -e gdb run xftree"
> Will this produce the needed backtrace information?

That looks complicated. Much easier is to open the xterm and cd to the
build directory of xftree (make install strips xftree from gdb symbols,
so do a fresh make without installing):

$gdb xftree
gdb> run

[here you get output from xftree and gdb saying that it received signal
and the line where it halted]

gdb> bt

[here you get all the program flow that lead to the signal, which in
most cases is all that is needed to identify and fix the problem]

Edscott