cut and paste in menus

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 19 05:18:40 CEST 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Is there a standard?  In X Window apps, highlighting and middle button
> usually works, as does alt-c, alt-v.  The only environment where I've used
> ctl-c, ctl-v previously has been that Gates guy's "OS".

Patrick,

  One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many among
which to choose. :-)

  I've used the trackball buttons on many apps, but most of the time (e.g.,
mozilla, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, LyX, and my accounting apps, the
Microsoft "standard" works: ctrl-x/ctrl-c followed by ctrl-v to paste.

  On the other hand, console apps running in virtual terminals require me to
hold down the shift key while highlighting with the trackball, then paste
into a GUI app with shift-middle button (or, shift-both buttons in my case).
Except for emacs. Here, I cut from the virtual terminal with the shift-left
button routine, but paste with both trackball buttons (no shift key).
Sometimes, I need to use the shift key first, then both buttons. So much for
standards.

  Use the same set of apps for a few years and you just know how to
cut/copy/paste among them all.

Rich