Call for aid to the Girl Scouts

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Jun 14 12:13:02 CEST 2002

Neal

> nothing that can be changed by the user either by accident or on purpose.

You're a lucky man, there is a special mode in xfce for kiosk
applications such as this one (I know, nobody but me knows about that)

In short, to make Xfce act as you want, you must :

- Prepare your default setup, using any user you want. Arrange your
menus, etc.
- As root, copy your $HOME/.xfce/.xfce3rc to /etc/X11/xfce/xfce3rc
- Edit that file and change the [Coords] section so it reads
  [Coords]
  	-1
	-1
  This will tell xfce to place itself at the proper position.
- Now, here is the trick.By setting the shell env variable
"DISABLE_XFCE_USER_CONFIG" to 1 (or "y") prior to start xfce, then the
user will have no access to configuration of any kind. The configuration
will be taken directly from /etc/X11/xfce/xfce3rc ignoring any user
local configuration.

You can test that simply by running from a console :

$ export DISABLE_XFCE_USER_CONFIG=1
$ startxfce

Magic's everywhere ;-)

Cheers,
--
Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.