Linux Mandrake menu are now integrated in XFCE

LiNuCe linuce at free.fr
Sat Jul 27 13:02:57 CEST 2002

Hi,

As you have noticed, XFCE-3.8.16 has buit-in Debian menu
support. This is good for Debian people, but is not
really convenient to see "Debian Menu" when you use
another Linux Distribution, let's say Linux Mandrake.

Moreover, Linux Mandrake has its own menu system and
it would be really nice to see it integrated in XFMenu
(the XFCE's menu generator).

As Linux Mandrake menu are plain .desktop files which are
supported by XFMenu and used by KDE and GNOME, it would
be no really difficult to add Linux Mandrake support.

That's why I've written a custom patch that allows :

   - adding Linux Mandrake menu support
   - enabling/disabling Debian menu
   - enabling disabling Mandrake menu

At the current time, I'm sure it works with XFCE-3.8.16.
To use it (it is provided as a text attachment) :

   # ls
   xfce-3.8.16.tar.gz xfce-mandrake-menu-support.patch
   # tar xzf xfce-3.8.16.tar.gz
   # patch -p 0 < xfce-mandrake-menu-support.patch
   # cd xfce-3.8.16
   # autoconf

Note the autoconf line ! It is necessary as this patch add
two options to configure script that allows to enable/disable
Linux Debian/Mandrake menus !!! These options are :

  --enable-debian-menu   : allow to enable Debian menu
  --enable-mandrake-menu : allow to enable Mandrake menu

By default, Debian menu is disable. Linux Mandrake menu is
auto-detected if you're using 8.2. Do not see preference in this
choice, but I don't have a Debian to implement a reliable
"auto" feature. Help welcome !

It works for me and friends of mine, it should work for you ...
at least I hope !

You will find the appropriate options in Setup's Startup tab
to enable/disable appropriate menus if they were enable at
configure time. Enjoy and tell me what you think, what should be
improved, why it doesn't work for you, why you can't have
either Linux Mandrake or Debian menu under FreeBSD ... ;-)

P.S. (1) :
   I hope I don't make a mistake by attaching a small text
   patch to this message ...

P.S. (2) :
   Yes, english is not my native language ... Sorry for my
   bad pronounciation ;-)

--
LiNuCe !