autoconf for xfce from cvs

LiNuCe linuce at free.fr
Sat Jul 27 12:23:31 CEST 2002

Hi,

Here is my [dirty] solution. The fact is that I don't want
to break my system with manual programs installation when
it use a package managment like RPM or DEB. I can make custom
RPM, but I don't want to botter with the "administrative"
part just to install a program I will use only once at this
time.

So, to get a recent, working autoconf for XFCE, I have
installed it in my HOME directory and set PATH to point
first at my HOME's bin directory. Doing so, when invoking
autoconf, the one which resides in my HOME's bin  directory
gets launched.

These are quick instructions to install autoconf in HOME :

   # mkdir local
   # mkdir local/src
   # tar xzf autoconf-${version}.tar.gz
   # cd autoconf-${version}
   # ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local
   # gmake
   # gmake install

Now, you need to tell you shell that there is a directory
to add to your PATH. If you use BASH, add this line in you
~/.bash_profile :

   export PATH=$HOME/local/bin:$PATH

Log out, then log in and try :

   # which autoconf

It should print something like :

   $HOME/local/bin/autoconf (which HOME substitued)

That's all ! You're now ready to try xfce from CVS.
Note that you can install many software you want to try
that way (but not all - XFCE for example that needs to
install the XFCE engine in the GTK+ themes engines
directory).

LiNuCe !
Don't want to find what you're looking for?
Try Gogol : http://gogol.librelogiciel.com ;-)

--
LiNuCe !