more samba

Mattias Thuresson mattias.thuresson at mbox300.swipnet.se
Wed Jul 10 19:05:16 CEST 2002

Since xfsamba was discussed here a week ago, I have been trying
to get it to work the way I like. What annoyed me was that
xfsamba only allows the root user to mount a share on a different
computer. Since I keep a collection of mp3-files on a
backup computer in my cupboard I have been trying to connect
somehow to that computer, instead of storing the files
on my primary computer, a laptop running Mandrake 8.1.

This is how I made it work for me:
1. I created the directory /home/mattias/celeron.
   Celeron is the name of my cupboard computer, an Intel Celeron,
   running Win98 with file sharing enabled. The share I want
   to access is called MP3.

2. In /etc/fstab I put
//celeron/MP3 /home/mattias/celeron smbfs user,noauto 0 0

Now I can mount /home/mattias/celeron and listen to music.
I don't need to store the files locally but I can still
see them with xftree.

Matt.