xscreensaver invalid parameters

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Jul 8 20:08:09 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 23:46, Christian Sparka wrote:

> > Has anyone ever gotten xscreensaver working for two users at the same
> > time? I have two accounts on the same machine, one of which is logged in
> > from elsewhere using xdmcp. When the second xinitrc calls xscreensaver,
> > all xscreensaver processes are silently killed.
>
> I have a similiar prob with xscreensaver when a second X-server is running
> on DISPLAY :1.
> I changed the xscreensaver call in my .xinitrc by adding
> -display `echo $DISPLAY`.
> This helped for me.
>
> Christian

Using Mandrake 8.2 on client and server I am unable to get xscreensaver
to lock the remote display using any combination of xhost invocations.
However, xlock can do the job.

If anyone else is having problems like this, the fix is to edit
/usr/bin/xflock and change

xscreensaver-command -lock || xlock $*

xscreensaver-command -lock || xlock -remote $*

Of course, you must have xlockmore installed.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...