Questions -- mail notification with Evo

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Jul 8 17:13:43 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 05:24, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> Hi Jack (Coates),
> I tried your trick to enable mail notification with Evolution, but did
> not succeed...
> I have 3 pop accounts in Evo, the mails are going to
> ~/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox.
> I set up one more account that says 'Local Delivery' and that checks
> this mbox file, but then nothing happens regarding the icon in the XFCE
> toolbar...
> Does this work for you?
> Alex

Maybe I should be clearer -- I'm using gkrellm for mail notification,
not XFce (I don't like the Sun-style default notification icons).

Additionally, the local delivery thing is for getting mail out of
/var/spool/mail/user after procmail or the local MTA delivers it, not
for checking what Evolution already has.

However, since I happen to be messing with an Evo conversion right now,
I can testify that the Evolution mailbox is just a regular mbox file. If
you use one of gkrellm's mail notification features you can set up a
pointer to each mailbox -- depending on which one you use it will either
show a separate krell for each box or a mouseover tooltip containing the
boxes that have new mail.

http://www.monkeynoodle.org/Photos/screenshot.png/view
--
Jack Coates