App killed when using the mouse roll? + questions

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sun Jul 7 16:57:02 CEST 2002

Sorry for the late response, I'm been quite swamped with work. But
better late than never.

El vie, 28-06-2002 a las 07:40, Alexandre Aractingi escribió:
> Hi Edscott,
> Thanks a lot for your previous answer. Actually my distribution is
> already configured with fr_FR (I did a binary diff between
> /usr/share/locale/fr_FR and /etc/locale/fr and everything is
> identical...). And the accentuated names are still not recognized...

Well, I had not actually tested the locale idea. Your feed back is very
valuable and I will implement the accentuated names bug workaround for
filenames and directories. So far the accentuated characters I am
considering are: áéíóúÁÉÍÓÚüñÑ. But these are only for spanish. I'm sure
there are more in french and other european languages, so if you send me
the ones you know I'll be sure to put them in.

> Regarding the download of a Samba file before opening it, I agree for
> 'regular' files, but for an mp3 file or a large avi file, isn't it
> possible to stream it while opening it in xine for example?

Yes, but for that you cannot use smbclient, which is what xfsamba uses.
For that you should use smbmount. So the best way is to use xfsamba to
mount the share, as this will open an xftree window, and use xftree to
stream is to xine. It will even allow you to look into .tar.gz files.

> Besides, I have a few more questions on the soft (sorry - let me know if
> I am being too pushy... but I'm very interested in this piece of
> software!):
>
> 1. Why don't Ctl+C, Ctl+V, Ctl+X work in xfsamba? (they work in
> xftree...)

Nobody ever asked for it (NEAFI). It has been noted for xfsamba2.

> 2. If I want to do a copy / paste from xftree to xfsamba, drag and drop
> and Ctl+C / paste are ok but not for multiple files (I select them by
> holding the Ctl button, but when I want to copy only one of them gets
> selected).

A bug. The drag and drop for multiple files works better than the
copy/paste (which does not seem to work for multiple files).

> 3. Why doesn't the 'Del' key work in xfsamba (it works in xftree)?

NEAFI.

> 4. Is there a way to specify a 'default' login / passwd that xfsamba
> would try to log on with when accessing SMB servers, in order to prompt
> for a login / passwd only if this one does not work?

I've been giving this one some thought. The thing I don't want to do is
to leave an non-encrypted password around somewhere in some
configuration file, since this would be a "bad thing". If you are not
worried with security, a temporary fixe you can apply is edit the files
where you find the string "GUEST%" and replace it with your choice in
the format user%password.

> Again, congratulations for the great soft, I never saw such an efficient
> file manager on Linux... (my machine is so slow that I really appreciate
> this kind of improvement!!).
> Thanks for your kind help, and for your time!

I wish I had some more time on my hands. :-(

Edscott