An unusual request for feedback

Edward M. Collins emcollins1 at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 6 17:14:14 CEST 2002

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   The spacebar on my trusty, ol' 142-key keyboard (with function keys on the
> left -- where they belong -- as well as on the top -- yuck!) is rapidly
> dying.
>
>   First I researched replacing it with the same type of board, but the only
> manufacturer, Adesso, sells theirs for $120-140. That's a lot of money for a
> keyboard. Then I thought about it and realized that linux apps don't use the
> function keys too much. Console apps use ctrl-<key> or meta/alt-<key> and
> GUI apps use either alt-<key> or the trackball to click on menus and dialog
> boxes. So, my question for you folks.
>
>   Is anyone here using the Happy Hacker keyboard? Can you think of
> applications -- other than WordPerfect -- that make use of the function keys
> in a linux environment?
>
>   If there's really no (or little) need for function keys, I might as well
> get a replacement keyboard that doesn't have any taking up a lot of real
> estate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I love my HappyHacker Lite Keyboard, and loathe the thought of using any
other.  I found its biggest advantage is that if you are a heavy rodent
or trackball user, a am I, it allows you to bing the trackball into a
much better position relative to your body and saves alot of elbow and
forearm stress. I don't really miss the function keys and the lack of
the keypad is easily solved by getting an auxilliary keypad, which I
prefer to have on my left anyway. I would suggest getting the newer
version which has separate arrow keys though. Having clear desktop space
for papers and such is real benefit too.

Cheers,

Ed

--
Penguins are so sensitive