Questions

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Jul 5 15:48:57 CEST 2002

Hi Alexandre,

> 1. Is there a way to enable an applet that would show an icon when I get
> a new email in Evolution under XFce?

Nothing designed specifically for evolution. But if you use the UNIX
mail system (by using fetchmail to retrieve your mails, for example),
then yes, you have a mail notifier builtin in the xfce panel.

Click with the right mouse button on the item from where you run your
mail reader and click on the list "icon style". From that list , choose
"mail tools/browser" (en francais ca doit etre "butineur" ou quelque
chose comme ca)

This shows if you have mails/new mail or no mail in your UNIX mailbox.

> 2. How can I set Galeon as my default HTML viewer?

export BROWSER=galeon

prior to starting X or your session (the $HOME/.xfce/xinitrc would be a
good place IMHO)

> 3. Is there a way to get the toolbar fit the whole screen, and stay in
> the bottom forever?

Humm, yes, use GNOME ;-)

> 4. How can I get the time on the right hand side of the bar?

You cannot, at least until Xfce 4 is released.

> 5. If I press Ctl + Shift + Arrow, my mouse pointer moves, instead of
> selecting whole words... is it on purpose? (I could get used to it, no
> problem...)

You can remove the key binding responsible for this (I realize that the
default keybindings aren't optimal)

Anyway, this can be done by tweaking your $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc (if you
don't have a $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc, simply cp the one from
/etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc to $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc)

At the end of that file, comment out the following lines :

Key Left A SC -
Key Right A SC -
Key Up A SC -
Key Down A SC  -

So that at next login, xfwm won't catch those key events.

> Thanks a lot for the _great_ work!

You're welcome, it would be nothing without its users ;-)

Cheers,
--
Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.