filmanagers

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 4 16:01:25 CEST 2002

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 14:52:06 +0100
David Wijnants <dwijnants at askalix.com> wrote:

> James Tappin wrote:
> > 3) You can drag files into a terminal window and it handles it
> > usefully(though this is probably more a function of konsole than of
> > konqueror)
>
> A guy I work with does the same, he drags things from the file manager
> into his editor and waits for it to run out of memory. Looks good,
> but...

My favourite use of that capability is to have a konsole open in my
building directory and konqui open in the archive directory, and just
drag the filename into the terminal to complete the tar xjvf line.
(Saves typing
tar xjvf /data5/ARCHIVE/tar/XFCE/xfce-3.8.16.tar.bz2
out in full)

> File managers can be *just* as destructive as terminals...
Or even more so -- though the problem is both cases is operating
machines with the brain disengaged.

James