Vote for XFce

Neal linuxer at ptd.net
Thu Jul 4 06:15:36 CEST 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
Mark Welker <welker at kmbs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with you Joe.
> I don't really see any advantage that the other file managers have
> over XFtree.
> I like XFtree the best if I am using a gui file manager program.
> I don't think a file manager should be a operating enviorment all
> in it self and do everything. It is a file manager.
>
> On 3 Jul 2002, Joe Klemmer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 17:35, Kristian Rink wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed, same here, though I am more often using rox / xftree for
> > > some more special file handling needs (especially the rox image
> > > preview is helpful when sorting huge amounts of pictures from
> > > digi-cam, webcam and scanner). Besides this, there's a lot of
> > > things just way more easier being done with mc (or with a bash) as
> > > filemanager than possibly with a gui-based tool. And... yes, it's
> > > easier to be started while working in a terminal-emulator. :))
> >
> > 	I'm a little uneasy about the potential rox/xfce tie-in.  Not
> > 	that I
> > have anything against rox.  It's really a great program but I am
> > always uncomfortable about things getting bigger rather than
> > smaller.  (And I'm against everything anyway<g>).

rox is nice, but... I dislike its file association by mime type.  It
wants to call everything text once the association is made.  I don't
want to open nedit when I click on my gnofin checkbook file.  I want
gnofin!

xftree's file association by file name/extension is clean and clear, as
it should be.

If someone wants to use rox, then they may do so, but please don't
disturb the fluid performance of the XFce modules.

--
Neal
Registered Linux User #159445, Libranet Linux 2.0/ext3/XFce