Vote for XFce

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Wed Jul 3 17:01:15 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 07:25, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Net Llama! wrote:
>
> > I dunno either.  It remains a mystery to me how they turned, what had
> > quite a lot of potential, into some of the most bloated unstable code
> > ever to run this side of M$.  KDE-1.1.2 was the last decent release from
> > them, and even that wasn't a speed demon.
>
> 	So far (and I haven't tried KDE3 or GNOME2 yet) I have not really
> found any fundamental difference between KDE and GNOME.  The differences
> are all cosmetic or buried deep in the code so that a user would never see
> it.  I honestly can't see any functional or user based difference.  Oh
> well, maybe it's just me...

I've offered both to the non-technical users in my life and have tried
to use both myself -- I have to say that neither provides the integrated
and functional UI that a non-technical MS or Apple user expects, nor
does either provide the speed and functionality that I expect. One
non-tech user gave up and wants to go back to Windows, the other saw my
XFce desktop and wanted one like it :-)

I'm glad for the plumbing work that both projects have led to and I will
usually use one of their file managers for complex work. XFtree doesn't
make me happy yet, but it is easier to use than mc-in-an-xterm which was
my old favorite.

And since you asked, my problems with xftree of late are:

1 - hitting a key should make the focus jump to something beginning with
that key - in other words, if I'm in a list of adir, bdir, ..., zdir, I
should be able to press 'z' and jump to zdir.

2 - If I've selected a number of files using the mouse and CTRL or
SHIFT, click-dragging on one of the selected files shouldn't deselect
all the other files -- rather, it should grab the whole bundle for
dragging.

I'm using (and loving) xfce-3.8.16-1 compiled from sourceforge srpm.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...