do the samba

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Jul 2 00:31:26 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 15:57, Mattias Thuresson wrote:

> I don't quite understand where to doubleclick. Xftree will only show the
> files on "my" computer, not on other computers on the network, right?
> Or can I see the network files somewhere in a subfolder, as
> symbolic links for example? That's great, if it is true.

First open xfsamba and navigate to the remote server. Then select the
top level share (this will open the file in xfsamba). Once the top level
share is selected press on the "mount" button (hard disk with a greeen
checkmark), or select "mount remote share" from the "Tools" menu. This
will mount the remote share on a local temporary directory and will open
an xftree window pointing to the local temporary directory where the
remote share is mounted. When you close the xftree window the remote
share will dismount and the temporary directory dissappear.

In order for it to work properly, /usr/bin/smbmnt and /usr/bin/smbumount
should be suid-root. Xfsamba should warn you if they are not and you
attempt to mount (unless you run it as root).

Edscott

BTW, you can use any other file browser besides xftree, just point it to
wherever the xftree window opens.