do the samba

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Mon Jul 1 00:10:31 CEST 2002

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 11:18, Mattias Thuresson wrote:
> Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi at libertysurf.fr> wrote:
>
> >And yet another question: is it possible to open files on a samba share
> >without downloading them? How?
>
> That is something I've been wondering about too. Since I have turned my
> record collection into MP3s and keep them on a different computer,
> I would like to have that when I browse files in Samba, I only have to
> click on a file to open it. E.g. a click on a txt-file opens nedit, a click
> on a pdf-file opens Acroabat Reader and so on. Wouldn't it be possible
> to make the files download automagically and then open in
> the appropriate program?

Sure. It would not be difficult to do, and probably will happen for the
gtk2 version of xfsamba. In the meantima you can just use use xfsamba
for the mounting, and do the double clicking with xftree. That way would
be more efficient since it does not require creating a temporary file
for download.

> If I knew how to program I could do something, but I have spent
> my time learning about seashells of the Baltic Sea instead...

Seashells can teach you much about programming. The logarithmic spiral
you find in some of them is the exact way performance declines as bloat
grows... Nature is very wise...

Edscott