xfce4

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 31 04:30:21 CET 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:16:10 -0500 (EST), Net Llama! wrote:

> Its been about 3 months since i last tried XFCE4, and there'a  fairly
> noticable improvement.  Congrats to all the contributors.
>
> A few questions:
> 1) I want to setup the window focus so that it follows the mouse
> (basically the same as the "ClickRaise No" feature for xfce3.  How
> would i do this under XFCE4?

In your .xfwm4rc:
click_to_focus=false

> 2) I see all these screenshots of XFCE4 with some gorgeous icons.
> Where can i get these icons?

xfce4->preferences->Icon Theme=[something other than xfce]

> 3) When i right click on the menu, i see a "Lock Screen" option,
> however it fails, since i don't have xflock.  Is there a way to change
> that to use xscreensaver instead (like under XFCE3)?

Some feature regression here. There *used* to be an entry field in the
setup screen, but it's gone now. Jasper??

> 4) There appear to be a huge number of themes that come with XFCE4 (a
> good thing), however i can't find any method of previewing them in
> advance. Also some of the themes don't seem to apply at all when i
> select them.  Is this a known bug?

Known bug. Try
$ xftheme /path/to/theme/dir/
from an xterm.

> 5) Under XFCE3, i could (un)shade a window simply by right clicking on
> its top bar.  Now right clicking appears to generate a menu, so its
> become a two step process (which i don't like much).  Is there a
> simple way of changing this behavior, that i'm missing?

Click the window-shade button?

> 6) I'm having trouble getting both the pager & the clock to appear
> simultaneously.  It seems like i can only have one at a time, which is
> obviuosly not as intended.  What am i missing?

You can have multiple pagers and clocks if you want. Just right click
any icon that you want to change into a clock/pager/trashcan/etc and
select it from the dialog. BTW, we have a pretty graphical pager now.

> If any of this stuff is documented somewhere, please let me know, nd
> i'll gladly read it.  thanks!

Hmmm... documentation is rather thin right now. :-(

HTH,

-- b