Understanding colors

Carol Spears cspears at cablespeed.com
Wed Dec 4 06:36:18 CET 2002

On 2002-12-03 at 1755.40 -0800, Rich Shepard typed this:
>   I've little quibble with the colors of the root window, control panel, and
> most of my applications. However, the colors of jpilot just don't meet the
> same standards. One of the local gurus suggested that I could tune the
> colors for this app in ~/.gtkrc. But, that looks like it's set by xfce and I
> can't figure out which part affects what.

this is my first day on this list.  i read this mail and remembered my
font problem that xfce writing a ~/.gtkrc file instead of a ~.xfce/gtkrc
file.  this is mozilla after encountering that file:
http://carol.gimp.org/FONT-moz.png.

since then, mozilla has written around it.  but i learned at that time
that i needed to build xfce if i wanted it to use a different gtkrc.

when i read your letter, i thought i would be a hotshot with the xfce
source i apt-got from debian earlier.  i typed ./configure --help.
however, the proper option did not jump right out at me, but i bet it
is in there.

i like xfce.  i think that someday, i might even like it a lot.  not
being able to point it easily at a safer configuration file has been
somewhat perplexing.  but that might be a problem of the debian
maintainer, who also kept compiling it with the broken gdk.

maybe something in the styles area of your xfwmrc?
http://www.xfce.org/help/html/adv-wm-appearance.html

maybe it is quickest solved with getting a different theme?

good luck
carol