Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 1 05:38:21 CET 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Richard Beri wrote:

> I usually open mozilla, kmail, knode, I position them all at top, left,
> but after I close them and then reopen (i never usually log out), the
> first one (whether it be mozilla, kmail, etc) will always open top
> left.  But then the rest following will not open top left, they will
> cascade instead.  Is there no "save position" like with kde?

  Aha! That's a horse of a different stable. There's some file -- and I have
no idea what or where -- that tracks open windows for some applications. If
you have multiple instances running, each will open in a different position
so they're not right on top of one another.

  We _always_ log out when done for the day. The machines are on all the
time, but no one's logged in. Therefore, I cannot address any behavior of
not logging out. I assume that no cruft is cleaned from one session to the
next. As for the desktop manager, again I have no experience with either KDE
or Gnome for I've been running Xfce for years now.

  Just for giggles, Richard, try logging out, but leaving the applications
open when you do. I know that the Xfce session manager will open them again,
on the same desktops and positions, as they were the last time. I would
expect KDE to do the same.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President