xfce fails to restart applications

MaT mat at razdva.cz
Sat Aug 24 17:03:57 CEST 2002

> On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:53:10 +0200 MaT <mat at razdva.cz> wrote:
>> I know, that in some other Window Managers and their session
>> managment systems, are problems for example with Mozilla and Galeon.
>> These session managers save information about "mozilla-bin" or
>> "galeon-bin" and they try to restart them this way. But - when you
>> run galeon, you type something like "galeon" - this runs the script,
>> wich sets some variables and then run "galeon-bin". Session
>> managment saves information about "galeon-bin" and then it tries to
>> restart it - but - it won't run, without the variables from the
>> script...
>>

> True enough, but it soesn't explain the variability.  If the WM can
> restart skipstone-bin, for example, most of the time, why does it fail
> other times?  sylpheed doesn't have a start script, and it can fail,
> too.  Most of my restarts are immediately after boot, so the
> environment should be the same each time I start xfwm/xfce.

Hmm, I've just realized another theory - and the last two lines can
support it - although it can be totally different. :-)

Maybe - I'm still not so familiar with Linux - maybe after boot, it
can't restart these applications, because some variables ain't set.
But - when you start the application, it sets some variables, you
close WM, application is closed, session information is saved - but -
the variables ain't "unset". Then you do "startx" - and because of
variables are still active, it can restart...

It's just a thought, I think thah in this case, there is some other
problem - but as I said last time. it can be some clue for similar
cases. :-)

MaT

mailto:mat at iol.cz
Jabber UID: mat at njs.netlab.cz