xterm phenomena

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Aug 20 03:57:04 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 19:02, Harry Putnam wrote:

> That reminds me:
>
> In other desktops, or at least gnome/sawfish, a command like
> `man ls' Shows the words OPTION and FILE in bold white.
>
> In xfce they appear in bold blue:
>        ls - list directory contents
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...
> OPTION and FILE appear in bold blue the rest in my default khaki.

	The OPTION and FILE are green on mine.  See attach image.

> Apparently the `xterm' command is getting different switchs or
> something in the different wm.
>
> Following Joes clue, I removed the .Xdefaults file and find the NcFTP
> and prompt do appear in blue.  So apparently the .Xdefaults behaves
> differently under different window managers.
>
> So what do I need to set in order for the bold Blue to appear as bold
> white?

	If I remember right you can set the bold colors in your ~/.Xdefaults.
In fact you can set nearly anything in there.

> Xterm has acres of documentation, but not too easy to decipher it.

	Heh, it's the old unix thing about if you don't already know everything
before you use it you'll never know.  :-)

--
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.