xterm phenomena

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Aug 20 01:02:20 CEST 2002

Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 10:31, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I'm a recent inductee to xfce.  I'm noticing a phenomena with xterms
>> in my current setup.
>>
>> I use .Xdefaults to set the parameters for xterms to
>> -bg black -fg khaki -fn 10x20
>
> 	FWLIW, I just tried using the above command line switches and I get the
> "NcFTP 3.1.3" and the prompt in blue.  This bix does not have a
> ~/.Xdefaults on it at all.

That reminds me:

In other desktops, or at least gnome/sawfish, a command like
`man ls' Shows the words OPTION and FILE in bold white.

In xfce they appear in bold blue:
       ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...
OPTION and FILE appear in bold blue the rest in my default khaki.

Apparently the `xterm' command is getting different switchs or
something in the different wm.

Following Joes clue, I removed the .Xdefaults file and find the NcFTP
and prompt do appear in blue.  So apparently the .Xdefaults behaves
differently under different window managers.

So what do I need to set in order for the bold Blue to appear as bold
white?

Xterm has acres of documentation, but not too easy to decipher it.