xterm phenomena

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Aug 19 16:31:57 CEST 2002

I'm a recent inductee to xfce.  I'm noticing a phenomena with xterms
in my current setup.

I use .Xdefaults to set the parameters for xterms to
-bg black -fg khaki -fn 10x20

   [...]
   xterm*font:    10x20
   xterm*fullCursor: true
   xterm*reverseWrap:   true
   xterm*titleBar:      false
   xterm*background: black
   xterm*foreground: khaki
   [...]

I've used this same .Xdefaults with several desktops.

Calling an xterm and then typing
ncftp <ENTER>

Always gave a prompt like this:

NcFTP 3.1.3 (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp at ncftp.com).
ncftp>

But now I get
         (Mar 27, 2002) by Mike Gleason (ncftp at ncftp.com).

The missing part usually appears as bold white on my black xterms

Its still there, because cut and paste reveals it.  Or calling a
white xterm will reaveal it.

So for some reason it is comming up in black on a black xterm.

If I call up gnome/sawfish as wm.  And call an xterm, then type
ncftp.  It appears as I expect.  In both cases the xterm is black
and is called by `xterm' not gnome term or some other term name.
Same .Xdefaults in both cases.

Anyone know why this is happening?