xfpager, and general observations

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Sat Aug 17 23:34:01 CEST 2002

Harry,

probably the best way will be to move the discussion to the xfce-dev list.
And if we will solve this mystery, we will post a summary to the general
xfce list. I'm sending this message to both lists, and I suggest you to
reply to xfce-dev list only (unless you and/or other xfce users feeling
that we should stay here).

I'll send detailed instructions how to set up your environment to the
xfce-dev list later. Is it ok?

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> [NOTE:  If people think this should be taken off list, please say
> so.  My feeling was that it might be of general interest to newer
> users -ed HP]
>
> Dmitry writes:
> > I'd say it's a real mystery. Do you normally have gradient background,
> > backdrop image or plain color on the root window? Anyway, XFCE shouldn't
> > change it if you're not switching workspaces.
>
> Harry Writes:
> I tinkered with lots of settings, but really have only run xfce for
> a day at this point so don't really have any settings that would
> qualify as normal.
>
> > Maybe there is something else broken there? Maybe it's not XFCE problem at
> > all? I think we should start from the beginning. But maybe tomorrow. It's
> > midnight in California. :)
>
> This seems very likely, since I'm far from competent and may well
> have other things screwed up. One thing is that this is all happening
> on an intall of `beta' Redhat.  Known as `limbo' and is the developer
> version that is being tested since last major release of 7.3.  Not
> considered ready for showtime.
>
> The macine with xfce installed is a machine I use to experiment on.
> It has several OS's on it.
>
> > I you have enough time and would like to continue, could you please
> > describe your system (like CPU, distro, gcc version, libraries
> > installed)? Maybe we should meet on IRC channel...
>
> My xfce setup is on an Athlon t-bird 1.2ghz, with 2 Maxtor IDE HDD.
> It has the beta release of redhat (limbo2) on Second HDD, jumpered as
> 2nd master, It begans at /dev/hdc2,current release (3.1) of openBSD,
> is on /dev/hdc1 (in linux speak) and the lastest intel release of
> Solaris (Media kit 2/02), occupies the first disk (/dev/hda1)leaving
> several gbyte unused on that disk.
>
> Dual booting with lilo.  Xfce is installed on the Redhat `limbo'
> installation.
>
> kernel 2.4.18-5
> gcc-2.96
> glibc-2.2.5-39
>
> I downloaded Xfce from the cvs server, but when I noticed the
> developer version couldn't be built with simple
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> That is, there are no Makefile.in in the various directories.
> I didn't know how to build them so tried the `stable' version that
> was part of the cvs download.
>
> Not sure how to tell exactly what version it is, but the last entry
> in the change log says:
>    2002-04-28
> The *lsm file is named:
>     xfce-3.8.18.lsm
>
> I built it with simple:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local (wasn't sure if that was default)
> make
> make install
>
> I didn't encounter any errors but some warnings flew by.  I have a
> complete record of the output of above commands if you want it.
> [...]

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."