xfpager geometry Was: key bindings to start applications

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Sat Aug 17 07:12:58 CEST 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Just a note here... I just downloaded the full archive of past posts
> and quickly discovered the discussion begun by Chris June 19 on the
> topic of key binding.  My answers were in it. ... sorry.

ok, let's change the topic. :)

I have good news and I have bad news. Good news: there is a problem with
xfpager placement. I was able to, hmmm, see it. Bad news: unfortunately I
can't reproduce it (I've spent almost one hour already). Here goes my
story...

I've started my experiments on my notebook and I was unable to reproduce
the problem -- xfpager was always working as expected. But then I tried to
play with xfpager on my desktop machine (I normally don't use xfpager at
all). And suddenly I noticed the same problem: no matter what I was
putting in the xfwmrc file, xfpager and/or xfwm always had their own idea
of the xfpager's window location (though xfwm was passing the correct
location to the xfpager module, the same as on Harry's machine).

I was surprised. Both machines are running Red Hat 7.3 with almost
identical software packages -- the desktop has XFS filesystem, and
notebook has ext3, but it should not affect X11 applications. The only
difference was the GTK theme engine. On my notebook I have notif and on
the desktop I have cdemu.

OK, next thing -- I've changed the GTK theme engine on my desktop machine.
Suddenly xfpager became "normal". Now it's always taking the position,
specified in the xfwmrc file, even when I'm switching back to the cdemu
theme.

I'd say, there is something wrong in the code, responsible for the
interaction between xfwm and modules. Unfortunately, it looks like we have
to live with this, since it's unclear what triggers this bug. :( I guess
it's possible to debug it, but unlikely somebody will do this, because
XFCE 4 will be released soon.

[skip skip the code]

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."