key bindings to start applications

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 17 02:32:45 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

> That may have something to do with session management. xfwm never got a
> chance to cleanup things if someone using Ctrl-ALT-BS. Plus I'm not sure
> how all components are plying together when managing x resources: you can
> use your .Xdefaults files to specify x resources, you can put them in
> xfwmrc and xfce panel is modifing resources too. Also, xfpager is xfce
> module, maybe xfce is starting it before processing the resources?

Now that I got the syntax right, calling apps works as it should.
However still puzzled by the xfpager geometry business.

Included below is a diff of ~/.xfce/xfwmrc  /usr/local/etc/xfce/xfwmrc

  17c17
  < AutoRaiseDelay      900
  ---
  > AutoRaiseDelay      250
  225,227c225
  < Key e   A CS Exec emacs -fn 10x20 .
  < Key t   A CS Exec xterm -fn 10x20 -fg khaki -bg black
  < Key r   A CS Restart
  ---

  230,231c228,229
  < *xfpager.geometry +100+300
  < *xfpager.smallfont 5x8
  ---
  > #*xfpager.geometry -0+0
  > #*xfpager.smallfont 5x8

You can see the geometry settings.

Now I have restarted by clicking the logout button.  Going to console
editing xfwmrc as above and `startx'. Still the xfpager doesn move
from upper left corner... I think -0+0 is the spot.  So apparently
something is overriding this geometry setting.

 reader $ grep -n xfpager xfwmrc
 76:Style "xfpager"                      Sticky
 133:#+ "I" Module xfpager
 136:#+ "I" Module xfpager
 228:# Options for xfpager :
 230:*xfpager.geometry +100+300
 231:*xfpager.smallfont 5x8

Shows a few commented out, my settings and:
   Style "xfpager"                      Sticky
Can that be the source of this?  What does that actually do?

I'm really getting confused with another aspect of the setup tools
too.  The palette applet.  In the list of themes.  Beginning xfce.  I
select other themes.  Say apply.  But I see no changes at all.
Run a restart.  No change.

I setup a custom one  beginning with gtk then click on the colors I
want to change.  saved it  and said apply.  I can reload it and it
appears on the `load' list.  But on a restart it goes back to defaut.

How do I make my choices stick, with the palette tool?

I change the font on the Xfce menu.  `Apply', `ok', restart.
The font doesn't change but now I've lost my custom colors again.
Log clear out, and startx again.  No changes are visible.  Font is
the same.  My custom palette is gone, But I can load it with pallete
tool.   Now the xfpager has finally moved.

Oh, to start these experiments off, I closed down X, renamed ~/.xfce and
made a new empty one.  Moved my edited xfwmrc into the new ~/.xfce.
Startx.  And reset things.

Seems to be no consistency.  Or more likely I'm not understanding the
mechanisms at work.

Clearly there is something basic I'm missing here.

What is the general outline for changing the colors:

1 start pallete tool
2 select a theme
3 click apply, background becomes a lightgrey
4 select another theme
5 click apply, nothing happens
6 click all the other themes and click apply.
  nothing changes

What other steps are missing?

1 start pallete tool
2 select a theme click apply.  The background color changes to a lightgrey
3 click colors I want to change, change them, click ok
4 click save, save it as def2

logout with quit button

startx.

Background color is now dark again.  The colors in the title bar have
stayed as I set them.  the xfpager has decided not to obey the
geometry settings again.  The font is not the one I set on Xfce tool.

Hard to find any consistance here or see what is doing what.