key bindings to start applications

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 17 00:31:08 CEST 2002

Jasper Huijsmans <huysmans at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

[...]

> I admit this may not be entirely clear, but the 'function' you want is
> the Exec funtion. Functions can be any of the functions described in
> 'XFwm commands'
>
> Key e A CS Exec emacs -fn 10x20
>
>> If I wanted to call emacs with a keycombo:
>>
>> This works, but you wouldn't know it from the example.
>> Key e A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .

He he.. I accidently found something that worked when it shouldn't.

Don't know if I should consider that a weakness in xfce or a sign or
robustness. ...

> This is advanced configuration. You're suposed to know that copy to
> <somename> may imply <somename> is a directory. Are you intentionally
> trying to not understand this?

Yes, I spend lots of time writing detailed complaints that make me
look like a fool...  Seems I never here any comments back that my
writings are near genius level, but often here complaints of quite a
different target... hehe.  I have to call my old mother from time to
time to assure myself that I'm really quite smart...

I saw your second post apologizing for being rude.  Somehow I seem to
have a knack of irritating even the most patient people.  You were'nt
rude, so no need of apology although I appreciate the kindness.

Looking back at the section its hard to see how I got so wrong headed
there.

>>     $ cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc $HOME/.xfce
>> Which is just plain wrong.
>>

> Read the above. Nothing wrong here. Perhaps $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc would be
> better.

I was never one to throw in the towel just because something was
written clearly and without ambiguity... :-)

Seriously, apparently once I got it in my head this was described
poorly no amount of clarity could shake me off....
Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a hard head.

Maybe it comes from spending too much time in gnome/sawfish.  I used
to run fvwm2 for quite a while, so should have known the drill.

[...]

>> And shown commented out here is an attempt to setup a keycombo for
>> restart.  It didn't work.
>>

> Use Restart instead of RestartFunction.

Oh good, at least that one wasn't painfully obvious.

> If you think the manual needs improvement, please feel free to send
> patches or texts to me or the mailing list.

Looking back, it hardly seems necessary, but if I did find something
worthwhile to patch, would you expect simply a patch to the html docs
on line?  Something you could just review and, run patch on in the
html directory.

Or is there a file to create a patch for in the cvs xfce-devel branch?

[From Dmitry]

> That may have something to do with session management. xfwm never got a
> chance to cleanup things if someone using Ctrl-ALT-BS. Plus I'm not sure
> how all components are plying together when managing x resources: you can
> use your .Xdefaults files to specify x resources, you can put them in
> xfwmrc and xfce panel is modifing resources too. Also, xfpager is xfce
> module, maybe xfce is starting it before processing the resources?

That may explain it since it seemed to work twice, then started
getting ignored, we'll see what happens with a clean restart, now I
know how to invoke it.  Are there files in ~/ I should delete to get
a clean start.  I have so much gnome crud in there, its hard to tell.

Is `restart' already available on a menu somewhere?  If not, does
anyone think it should be?