key bindings to start applications

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Fri Aug 16 23:11:06 CEST 2002

Harry,

actually, you need to use Exec function. I guess whatever you've tried so
far was (partially) working because when xfwm can't find <fn> in the list
of internal functions it tries to spawn external module (just another
executable). And the default search path for modules is the same as your
$PATH. Thus xfwm was able to find and execute emacs and xterm. However,
when xfwm is trying to call emacs and xterm as modules, it's passing few
arguments to them and redirecting stdin/stdout (or it doesn't? sorry, I
don't remeber module communication protocol). Probably xterm can't handle
those arguments, but emacs can.

The correct syntax in your case should be:

Key e A CS Exec emacs -fn 10x20
Key t A CS Exec xterm

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:25:20 -0700
> From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
> To: xfce at moongroup.com
> Subject: key bindings to start applications
>
> Looking thru the advanced config sections/ subtitle
> Keyboard shortcuts and mouse bindings
>
> I find directons how to do it with existing functions but not how to
> set a keybinding to call an application.
>
> The example is:
>
> If I wanted to call emacs with a keycombo:
>
> This works, but you wouldn't know it from the example.
> Key e A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .
>
> The Beginning of the section that contains that heading tells you to
> copy the example file xfce from /usr/local/etc/xfce.  Of courese there
> is no such file.  We are told to copy it to ~/.xfce
>
> Of course this can't be done since, first, there is no file by that
> name and second, there is already a directory ~/.xfce.
>
> But maybe it means to copy the whole /usr/local/etc/xfce directory to
> ~/, if so it shouldn't be called a file.
>
> Searching for ^Key in /usr/local/etc/xfce
> reveals lots of examples in fvwm2rc...fvwmrc  and xfwmrc
> so apparently xfwmrc is the one to edit.
>
> I think this could be explained a little better, if what I'm doing is
> even right.  The help file actually shows this example:
>
>     $ cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc $HOME/.xfce
>
> Which is just plain wrong.
>
> I managed to get going with the right file I think, and found a few
> things that work
>
> cat .efac/xfwmrc
>
> [...]
>    Key e   A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .
>    Key t   A CS xterm
>    # Key r   A CS RestartFunction
>    # Options for xfpager :
>    #
>    *xfpager.geometry +600+600
>    *xfpager.smallfont 5x8
>
> The emacs call works. The term call doesn't
> And shown commented out here is an attempt to setup a keycombo for
> restart.  It didn't work.
>
> The xfpager geometry line worked a few times with different settings
> including those shown, but now it doesn't.  When I leave X with
> Ctrl-ALT-BS  Then restart with startx, the xfpager now appears at
> -0+0 and ignores my settings.
>
> I know the file is being read because the emacs call works.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."