ncftp removed from default install

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 16 22:42:29 CEST 2002

Jens Knutson <jensknutson at yahoo.com> writes:

> So how about it, Red Hat folks?  If I file an RFE on this, is there any
> chance that it'll become the default, or will I just be wasting
> everyone's time? ;-)

Do you mean to the exclusion of the regular ftp client.  If so, I
don't think that is a good idea.  I have had ftp problems that using
ncftp added another layer of complexity to, making it harder to figure
it out.  To this day there are ftp hosts that return failure when a
`ls' is attempted using ncftp but work using the standard ftp client.

Admittedly its only a single host at this moment.

I've tried all the variations on `passive' including the default
`optional'.  Just when I think its fixed and it works once, next time
ls fails again.  Invariably reconnecting with standard ftp works.

Setting the debug or `trace' factor shows an illegal port command,
but regular ftp works every time.