Backdrop image conversion

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 3 17:09:52 CEST 2002

  This is both strange and silly. I ran 'convert' with the '-verbose' option
on the TuXperience.jpg image:

[root at salmo /usr/share/xfce/backdrops]# convert -verbose TuXperience-1.jpg
TuXperience-1.xpm
TuXperience-1.jpg=>TuXperience-1.xpm XPM 1600x1200 PseudoClass 256c 8-bit
3761kb 30.9u 0:32

  Notice that it converts a 177K file to a 3.8M file. Then, when I try to
view the converted image, I discover that xv won't load it (at least, I lost
patience after a long while) and in The GIMP it shows up as mostly black
with some purple on Tux and across the upper background.

  Maybe I need a newer version of ImageMagick; mine's from 2001.

  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President