Backdrops in .xpm format

Jim Woodruff jawoodruff at attbi.com
Sat Aug 3 08:38:14 CEST 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Russ Pitman wrote:

> It was me/I? sorry it fails for you,that hack was fine on my system,debian
> ustable, but now I am using the .deb version of 3.8.16-3 and it doesn't
> have any probs with .jpg backdrops.
> Can't offer much more.

Russ, I too am using Debian unstable and xfce version 3.8.16-3 but am unable
to use .jpg files for my backdrop.  In fact, according to the man page for
xfbd you can only use pixmap files. See the following:

xfce(1F)                                                              xfce(1F)

NAME

       xfbd - Backdrop manager for "The Cholesterol Free Desktop Environment"

SYNOPSYS
       xfbd [--display] [-i]

       --display host:dpy specifies the server to connect to.

       -i    Starts up xfbd with its graphical user interface.

DESCRIPTION
       xfbd  is  a very simple backdrop manager for XFce, The Cholesterol Free
       Desktop Environment.  xfbd  can  be  started  from  xfwm  configuration
       scripts  and it silently applies user selected backdrop on root window.

       For the moment, xfbd only manages Xpm (X Pixmap) files.

       If xfbd is started with the option -i the graphical user  interface  of
       xfbd is displayed.

       and so on.....

It looks like we need to wait until the next release.

Jim

--
Jim Woodruff < jawoodruff at attbi.com >