[Xfce-i18n] Fwd: Thunar translation: Transifex → git ?

Slavko linux at slavino.sk
Mon Aug 20 11:18:34 CEST 2018

Ahoj,

Dňa Sun, 19 Aug 2018 22:43:33 +0200 Kernc <kerncece at gmail.com> napísal:

> The master branch translations had been completed (up to this point)
> already some years ago. Yet the most recent 4.14 tag doesn't contain
> those translated strings. I checked: there is no "I18n: Update
> translation sl (94%)" commit in the git log for branch master or
> another.
>
> How do I finally get my translations into the project?

I noticed something similar with Slovak translation.

You can download .po file from master and then upload it to 4.14. To be
more precise, i download both .po files, and then i did msgmerge to
update the old file with the new one, because i don't know how to
transifex deal with old .po files:

    msgmerge -U thunar-old.po thunar-new.po

The problem is, that all strings are now marked as made by me, which is
not ideal, because some strings are simply bad translated and i don't
want to be author of bad translation. Then it is better to check
new .po file locally before you upload it.

I step in translation in the pre 4.12 phase (as experienced translator),
then i don't know if it was the same when 4.12 starts, but I consider
this as bad workflow. The new versions have to be initialized with old
one -- ideally based on both, master and previous version. The gettext
provides tools, to deal with this merging...

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk